Did you know that good looking hair always starts with a healthy scalp? Most of us take care of our skin and the lengths of our hair, but often forget to give the same love to our scalps. An easy way to add scalp care into your hair care routine is by using a scalp brush, which will benefit both your and your scalp’s wellbeing.
Read on to learn why scalp brushes are great for all hair types and get our best tips on how to use a scalp brush, so you can take a moment to care for yourself!
Why you should use a scalp brush
No matter if you are experiencing scalp problems like dandruff and irritation or just want amazing looking hair, scalp health should be a priority. To maintain or create a healthy scalp you need to exfoliate dead skin cells and remove product build-up when doing your shower routine. When shampooing your scalp you are already doing this with your fingers, but do you take that extra minute to massage all over your scalp?
This is where the scalp brush comes in handy – the missing piece in your hair care routine that makes scalp care easy, helps you relax and can even boost your natural hair growth.
Benefits for your scalp when using a scalp brush
A scalp brush is designed to take care of your scalp and has several benefits for the health of both your hair and scalp.
- Exfoliates dead skin cells. A scalp brush has soft brush teeth that will help remove dead skin cells from your scalp.
- Removes product build up. The brush will help you clean your hair both gently and effectively to remove product residue.
- Distribute products evenly. A scalp brush helps you reach every part of your scalp with the active ingredients in your products.
- Can boost natural hair growth. Massaging your scalp will increase the blood circulation and help nourish the scalp. By regularly massaging your scalp this will help maintain your natural hair growth.
Benefits to your wellbeing when using a scalp brush
Massaging your scalp will not only impact the health of your hair, but also has restorative effects on your body and wellbeing.
- Release tensions. A massage activates and helps relax the muscles of the scalp.
- Boosts oxytocin release. Research has shown that our body starts to release a hormone called oxytocin after only 10 seconds of massage. Oxytocin is known to lower heart rate, blood pressure and decrease levels of stress hormone.
How to use a scalp brush
Now that you know all about the great effects that a scalp massage can have you’re probably eager to get started and incorporate it into your own hair care routine. To help you on your way to great scalp health, we’ve gathered our top tips on how to use a scalp brush in the best way.
How to use a scalp brush with shampoo
An easy way to incorporate a scalp brush massage into your hair care routine is by using it for applying and working in your shampoo.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water
- Apply shampoo directly onto your scalp brush
- Massage through your scalp in circular motions, starting at the top of your head and working down. Also work through the lengths by combing down through your hair
- Rinse out and follow up with the rest of your routine
How to use a scalp brush with a hair mask
If you have scalp issues like dry or an irritated scalp you can use a hair mask on your scalp for extra nourishment. Make sure you use a product that is made to be used on the scalp, like the Head & Hair Heal Masque or our fast-acting hair treatment Head & Hair Heal Booster Masque, as other hair masks can be too heavy for the scalp.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse thoroughly
- Gently squeeze excess water out of your hair
- Apply hair mask to your scalp brush
- Start at the top of your hair and massage the hair mask through your scalp in circular motions
- Apply the hair mask through the lengths with your hands
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse your hair and apply conditioner in the lengths